Vietnam Airlines offers the following types of special meals for infants, children and for passengers with religious or medical requirements. However, the availability of special meals is different from route to route depending on the catering agents at the uplift airports.
Please let Vietnam Airlines’ reservation office or travel agent know if you require a special meal. Requests for a special meal must be made at least 24 hours prior to the scheduled departure time.
Special meals can be divided in to following groups:
+ Vegetarian meals
+ Baby - Children meals
+ Religious meals
+ Medical meals
+ Other meals
2-Baby - Children meals
a. Low purin/ uric acid meal (PRML)
This meal avoids foods containing Axit uric (livre, kidney, animal brain). It is ordered by persons suffering from aching and swelling arthritis (mainly toe and finger), kidneystone.
b. Oriental stype meal (ORML)
This meal is cooked in oriental or chinese way. It avoids meat, fish, milk, dairy products, root vegetables. Mostly Chinese passengers, mainly Taiwanese request this meal for religious reasons.
c. Fruit platter
This meal includes fresh fruits, fruit compote...It is requested by persons with special dietary requirements or a certain Indian religious group that fasts on fruits at certain time of the year.
d. Raw vegetarian meal
This meal does not use meat any type, eggs, seafood, milk and dairy products, lard, gelatin. It normally includes fresh fruit, vegetables and salad. It is requested by persons who suffer from jet lag.
e. Seafood meal
This meal does not use lobster prawns, scallops or caviar. Fish and seafood are the major component of the meal.
f. Fluid/ Liquid diet meal
This meal does not use hard digest foods. It only includes liquid and drinks, usually milk, fruit juices....It is ordered by persons having problem with chewing or swallowing as a result of dental problems or surgery.
g. Semi fluid meal
This meal does not use hard digest foods. It includes only soft meal and drinks, usually milk, fruit juices... It is ordered by persons having problem with chewing or swallowing as a result of dental problems or surgery.
h. White meat meal
This meal does not use any type of meat except white meat. It only uses white meat including chicken meat, fish...
i. Non beef meal
This meal can not use beef, veal or products related to beef and veal.
j. Non pork meal
This meal can not use pork.
k. Non lamb/ mutton meal
This meal can not use lamb.
l. Fish meal
Fish is the major component of the meal.
m. Non seafood meal
This meal does not use seafood
n. Non chicken meal
This meal does not use chicken
o. Non egg meal
This meal does not use eggs
- Acceptance: Infants under 14 days of age are not accepted for traveling by Vietnam Airlines.
Premature infant feeding in oxygen tent is not accepted for travel.
Infant under 2 years of age is not accepted for traveling as unaccompanied minor by Vietnam Airlines. The infant must be accompanied by his parent or guardian.
- Baby bassinet: A bassinet can be provided on “first come first served” basis for an infant whose weight is up to 16 kgs. Please let Vietnam Airlines Reservation office or your travel agent know if you require a bassinet for your child.
- Baby meal: Please see special meals for baby.
Unaccompanied minor (UM) is a child traveling without his parent, guardian or eligible person who is authorized by the child’s parent or guardian.
If your child travels alone, please refer to the following conditions and contact with Vietnam Airlines Reservation office well in advance:
Passengers with Disabilities
Vietnam Airlines can provide wheelchair service for passengers who are difficult for moving. Please let Vietnam Airlines’ reservation office or travel agent know if you require wheelchair service. Vietnam Airlines uses three codes which are entered in your booking to help identify just what level of assistance you require:
- Wheelchair for ramp service (WCHR): if you are capable of moving on your own during embarking/disembarking and inside the aircraft, but need wheelchair for moving in the terminal.
- Wheelchair for step service (WCHS): if you are capable of moving slowly on your own inside the aircraft, but need assistance during embarking/disembarking and wheelchair for moving in the terminal.
- Wheelchair for cabin service (WCHC): if you are not capable of moving on your own. You need assistance by wheelchair for moving in the terminal, during embarking/ disembarking and inside the aircraft.
Your own collapsible wheelchair (if any) will be carried free of charge as checked baggage.
If you are a medical passenger, you need refer to medical cases above.
2- Blind passenger:
Blind passenger who has not contracted any other disease, could be accepted for travel without medical clearance.
Accompanied blind passengers could be accepted for travel as normal passengers.
Unaccompanied blind passengers are accepted for carriage in the following cases:
- Blind passenger can take care himself, such as self-walking, having meal during the flight.
- Blind passenger must be accompanied by a responsible person or relative at departure and final destination.
3- Deaf passenger
Deaf passenger with an escort are accepted as normal passenger.
Deaf passenger without escort has to contact with Vietnam Airlines’ reservation office or travel agents to complete all necessary procedures.
Vietnam Airlines aims to make air travel as safe and comfortable as possible for passengers who are expectant mothers. Thus, please let Vietnam Airlines Reservation office or your travel agents know about your pregnancy condition (time of pregnancy, expected date of confinement, any trouble may occur etc.)
Vietnam Airlines does not accept mothers within 7 days before or after confinement.
Expectant mothers are required to have medical clearance in any of the following cases:
- The pregnancy is about 32 weeks and above.
- Unable to identify the time of pregnancy or the expected date of confinement.
- Given multiple at previous confinement.
- Any danger or complicate may occur during confinement.
- Artificial insemination: you are required to take medical examination at medical center where you made the insemination before the flight, or at Vietnam Airlines’ appointed medical center.
Extra Seat for Passengers
Extra seat service offers to oversized passenger who needs 2 adjacent seats onboard in the same flight.
Extra seat is required to book 24 hours prior to estimated time of departure and in the same class.
Medical passengers should contact with Vietnam Airlines’ reservation office to complete all specific conditions and procedures according to Vietnam Airlines’ regulations for the carriage.
In principle, medical passengers must be accompanied by a capable adult aged above 18 years old, preferably a doctor or a nurse who assumes responsibility of nursing the passenger while boarding, in-flight and deplaning.
Vietnam Airlines may accept medical passenger for carriage without an escort if the medical passenger:
- Does not have serious or critical illness; or if is handicapped but in stable condition, and accustomed yourself to such condition; or if has a chronic disease and appointed doctor certifies that you is suitable for unaccompanied travel.
- Can take care of your personal requirements during the whole journey.
- Be assisted by your family at both departure and final destination airport.
All medical requirements and devices needed must be available.
2/ Medical clearance requirement:
Passenger requesting stretcher should:
- Contact with Vietnam Airlines’ reservation office to complete necessary procedures.
- Request at least 72 hours prior to scheduled departure time.
- Complete medical clearance procedures (please refer to medical cases).
- Be accompanied by an escort to assist onboard (preferably a fully qualified medical escort such as a doctor or a nurse)
- Complete all necessary procedures at least 24 hours prior to scheduled departure time.
Vietnam Airlines only accepts one stretcher passenger on each flight and in economy class.
If you are also traveling on other airlines, you need to check and comply with the other airlines’ conditions and regulations.
If you need ambulance at airport of departure, transfer and arrival, you should directly contact with ambulance sevice agent at the airports.
Vietnam Airlines can offer following types of special baggage:
- Heavy baggage: baggage exceeding 40 kgs
- Oversize baggage: baggage with total dimentions exceeding 203 cms
- Occupying seat baggage: the baggage accepted on cabin and located on passenger’s seat such as cello or other musical instruments.
- Sport equipments: Sport equipments tobe transported as checked baggage (SPEQ) and free of charge if they are in the list below:
+ Golf set: one golf set includes onle golf bag containning maximum 14 golf clubs, 12 golf balls, T-shaped devices with total weight no more than 20kg. Equipments other than above-mentioned items shall not be regarded as golf set
+ Snow ski set: a snow-ski set includes one set of skies, a pair of ski pole, a pair of ski shoes or boots. Equipments other than above-mentioned items shall not be regarded as standard ski set
+ Surfboard: a sport equipment for wave surfing includes a surfboard
+ Scuba diving equipment: includes a scuba cloth, a breath tube, a pair of screws, a diving mask. The equipment in dangerous goods list ( exp: pressure-gauge, scuba...) shall not be accepted.
Passengers have to contact with Vietnam Airlines Reservations or travel agents to complete all necessary procedures.
Note: Wind surfboard is excluded from free allowance each wind surfboard shall be charged as one piece of excess baggage.
Animals in Hold
Domestic dogs, cats and birds are accepted for carriage as checked baggage and not allowed on passenger cabin.
Requirements for other pets are available from Vietnam Airlines’ Cargo offices.
You should prepare all neccessary documents for your pets, including export, import, transit permits and health, vacination certificates.
You should contact with Vietnam Airlines Reservations or travel agents to complete all necessary procedures.
Other Support Services
1-Meet and assist
Vietnam Airlines offers “meet and assist” service for passengers who are elderly, child from 12 to 15 years old.
2-Language assistant service
Vietnam Airlines also offers language assistance for passengers who can speak only native language, and therefore, require other language assistance.
Service assists passengers on specified language at airport and onboard. The assistant language may be subject to change upon different routing.
If you request a “meet and assist” or language assistance service, please let the Vietnam Airlines’ reservation office or travel agent know in advance.